Marijuana Charges in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach Criminal Defense Lawyer
Have you been arrested for any type of drug crime related to marijuana? You may have been picked up for simple marijuana possession or may be facing felony charges for the alleged sale or distribution of marijuana. From marijuana possession to trafficking in the Virginia Beach area, a criminal defense attorney at our law firm can provide you with the level of legal counsel that you deserve. Former prosecutor Vaughan C. Jones understands both sides of the criminal process. He is a skilled criminal lawyer who understands how to use his experience of the "other side" to develop a more effective strategy.
There are various weaknesses that a seasoned lawyer will know to look for in marijuana charges. This may include an illegal search conducted without a warrant or without probable cause, giving your lawyer grounds to file a motion to suppress specific evidence against you. An unlawful arrest or unreliable witness may provide grounds for other effective approaches. With the resources to fully investigate your case from every angle, our legal team can provide you with criminal defense counsel tailored to suit your unique charges.
Penalties for Marijuana Possession
Marijuana possession is the least serious type of drug crime involving marijuana. A defendant in Virginia Beach may face the following penalties:
- Simple marijuana possession (first offense): up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.
- Simple marijuana possession (second offense): up to 12 months in jail.
- Marijuana possession with intent to distribute (less than half an ounce): up to 12 months in jail.
- Marijuana possession with intent to distribute (half an ounce to 5 pounds): up to 10 years in prison.
- Marijuana possession with intent to distribute (more than 5 pounds): up to 30 years in prison.
Make sure you get the defense representation you need to challenge your marijuana charges and avoid these penalties. Contact a Richmond criminal defense attorney at our offices today.
“ I could not be more pleased with his services which came at a fair and practical price.”
“He really helped me when I was going through a rough patch and I couldn't thank him enough.”